25 Things You Probably Don't Know About California
25 Facts About California
1. California is one of the largest states in the country and is the most populated state in the US.
2. California raises more turkeys than any other state.
3. More avocados are grown in the Fallbrook, located in northern San Diego, than any other county in the US. Fallbrook is also known as the "Avocado Capital of the World". Flickr - olle svensson
4. The element Californium was actually named after California!
5. The Rancho Mission Viejo Rodeo is the richest 2-day rodeo in the United States with a purse topping over $200,000!
6. The California state Railroad Museum in Sacramento is the largest museum of its kind in North America.
7. There are 58 counties in California.
8. San Bernardino County, about three million acres in size, is the largest county in the country.
9. The Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles is the largest outdoor amphitheater in the world.
10. Before Beverly Hills became home to the rich and famous, it once boasted fields of Lima Beans.
11. The World Meteorological Organization has deemed California's Death Valley the world's hottest place in a recent media release.
12. San Francisco Bay is the largest land-locked harbor in the world.
13. Sequoia National Park is host to the largest living tree with a circumference of 102 feet. Now that is a tree! Flickr - synopsis1
14. One out of every eight people living in the United States is a California Resident.
15. Out of all of the 50 states in the U.S., California has the largest economy.
16. California's state motto is: "Eureka!" meaning, "I have found it!" and was adopted in 1849. It's also the name of a town in Northern California.
17. Every year California produces more than 17 million gallons of wine. Flickr - Freddy Olsson
18. The state tree of California is the redwood.
19. Gold was first discovered by James W. Marshall at Sutter's Mill in Coloma, California on January 24, 1848.
20. California is the birthplace of the skateboard which was created as an alternative for surfing.
21. Sacramento is California's state capitol.
22. Mt. Whitney is the highest peak in the lower 48 states.
23. California's beloved band, The Beach Boys, are originally from Hawthorne, California and after 50 years of being together, are Americas first pop-band to reach that milestone!
24. California is host to the highest number of residents who were born in other countries.
25. California is known as the Golden State (this is due to the discovery of gold, but we like to think it has something to do with the golden California sunshine).Flickr - Damian Gadal Source: California Fast Facts Cover Photo: Flickr - Raul Gomez